Do you need to register a birth or a death – or have you got a marriage ceremony booked in a register office?
Here is the latest advice from Suffolk County Council
- From 20 March 2020, all our offices will be closed for counter enquiries but remain open for telephone calls and pre-booked appointments
- Our outstation services at Felixstowe, Haverhill, Newmarket and Saxmundham will not operate. This is to allow us to maximise appointment availability at our other offices locations.
- If you wish to register a birth or death – please do it online here https://s3.sishost.co.uk/SF/OnlineBookings/Signup.aspx
Your nearest office is Ipswich
|Phone||0345 607 2050|
|Address||St Peter House, 16 Grimwade Street, Ipswich, IP4 1LP|
|Map||Find on Google Maps|
|Opening hours||Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm|
- Please avoid paying with cash
- People should only attend your appointment who need to attend. A maximum of two people will be allowed into the appointment room, including children
- For births and deaths – supporting documents will not be required at this time (Medical Certificate from the GP is the only document required for a death registration)
- For birth appointments – we do not need to see the baby as we’re notified of the birth centrally
For existing ceremonies booked before 30 June 2020 – the register office will call you – don’t call them. They will call in date order and there are 900 events affected so be patient.
Ceremonies between 23 March and 30 June 2020 will be restricted to the couple, two witnesses and a maximum of two further guests (if sufficient space in the room) They will also be subject to staff availability.
For ceremonies on our own premises and to ensure that social distancing can be maintained no additional guests will be permitted in our buildings. We will contact all couples to discuss this change, working in date order, so please bear with us whilst we do this. We will continue to offer options for rescheduling at no charge and for full refunds where this is requested.
Group citizenship ceremonies will be cancelled with immediate effect.
Questions about ceremonies before 30 June 2020
Can I move my ceremony forward and arrange a further big celebration ceremony later in the year?
We will try to offer this, subject to staff availability. Please contact our office to check availability. As this option will involve our attendance at two ceremonies a further fee will be charged.
Can I postpone my ceremony and re-book for a specific date either at the same or different location?
There will be no charge to do this, if you choose a date or location where a higher fee would normally apply, this will be waivered. If you choose a location or date where a lower fee would apply the difference will be refunded.
Will I get a refund if I cancel my ceremony completely?
Yes. We will refund your ceremony fees including any pre-paid certificate fees. We will not be able to refund your Notice of Marriage/Civil partnership fee.
I would like to postpone my ceremony but at this moment I do not have another date or location in mind?
If you wish to postpone but are not able to give us a revised date or location for your ceremony, we will refund your fees paid. Your Notice of Marriage/Civil partnership fee cannot be refunded.
I have a big ceremony planned at an Approved Venue, but would like to arrange a small ‘register office’ ceremony in the near future?
In the absence of government legislation change, this scenario would require you to give a new ‘Notice’ for the register office location. There would need to be a 28 day gap between doing this and when your ceremony could be held. Please contact us to discuss this option.
In light of COVID-19 we have made the following emergency provisions for venue licensing
- We will no longer accept new applications or enquiries for new venues looking to obtain a ceremony licence
- For venues that have applied for a new ceremony licence we will offer the option of a full refund of your application fee as an alternative to us continuing to process your licence application. We can offer no guarantees that ceremony licences that are part processed will be granted in the short-medium term.
- If you are the holder of am existing ceremony licence which is currently under determination or expires in the next 6 months this will be renewed automatically for a further 12 months free of charge.