Older residents from across East Suffolk are invited to take part in a number of free activities on Sunday 1 October, as part of a national campaign to reduce loneliness.
Silver Sunday is an annual celebration of older people and raises awareness of the social isolation which affects so many. To mark the occasion, free events and activities are taking place in Suffolk Coastal and Waveney and older residents are encouraged to get involved and try something new.
Cllr TJ Haworth-Culf, Suffolk Coastal’s cabinet member for Customers, Communities and Leisure and Cllr Stephen Ardley, Waveney’s Deputy Leader and cabinet member for Communities said: “As detailed in our Business Plan, we want our communities to thrive and for our older residents to feel supported, healthy and engaged. Silver Sunday is a great opportunity to celebrate our older people and ensure their invaluable contribution to society is not overlooked. Along with partner organisations, we are working to combat social isolation and loneliness, which can have a devastating effect on people’s physical and mental wellbeing.”
Suffolk Coastal District Council’s leisure operators, Places for People Leisure, are arranging a variety of free Silver Sunday activities:
- At Felixstowe Leisure Centre, take part in the ‘Just Swim Lengths’ session for older adults (50+) between 9am-10am followed by a free tea or coffee from the café. Reserve your space by calling 01394 694600.
- At Leiston Leisure Centre, people can take part in the ‘Just Swim Lengths’ session for older adults (50+) between 9am-10am, racket sports between 9am – 12pm or personal training taster sessions between 9am-12pm. Please call 01728 830364 to reserve your place on any of the activities.
- At Brackenbury Leisure Centre, join in with an afternoon of free racket sports from 1pm-4pm, including badminton, tennis, short tennis, table tennis, squash and racquetball. Please call 01394 270278 to reserve your place.Waveney District Council’s leisure partner Sentinel Leisure Trust also has a programme of free events for older people:
- At Bungay Pool and Gym, swimming will be available between 12pm and 2pm. (£1 is required for the lockers).
- Waterlane Leisure Centre:
- Swimming 9am and 4pm (please bring £1 for the lockers)
- Badminton 10.30am – 12.30pm (£1 for equipment hire)
- Short tennis 10.30am – 2.30pm (£1 for equipment hire)
- At Dip Farm, Pitch & Put will be available between 1pm-3pm, with free hire of clubs and balls.
- Lowestoft O-go-go will also be running activities at the Kirkley Centre in Lowestoft:
- Seated exercise 1.30-2.30pm
- Nordic walking 2.30pm-3.30pm
- Seated yoga 3pm – 4pm
- Boccia & cornhole 12pm-4pm
- New age kurling 12pm-4pm
- Shuffleboards 12pm-4pm
- Silver circuit 2pm – 3pm
- Residents living at Waveney District Council’s sheltered housing schemes will also be taking part in Silver Sunday events:-
- Tea and fun afternoon at Jubilee Court, Halesworth – 10 October – 2pm – 4.30pm
- These events are also open to non-residents to attend, free of charge.For more details, please visit https://silversunday.org.uk
- Other Silver Sunday events are taking place across East Suffolk on 1 October, including:-
- Afternoon tea at Beccles Library (1-3pm)-
- An introduction to musical theatre at the Marina Theatre, Lowestoft (3-5pm)
- Afternoon tea at Corton Pavilion (2-4pm)
- Bring a senior citizen to Africa Alive for free
- Mad Hatters afternoon tea party at Plaisir Place, Lowestoft – 3 October – 2pm-4pm