Suffolk Coastal District Council moved into East Suffolk House in Melton last December and the Council is now looking to commission a local artist to create a new and exciting public piece of art and in return, gain some recognition for their work.
The artwork will be displayed in the reception area of East Suffolk House and the Council is looking for something which reflects Suffolk Coastal as a district, drawing on aspects of the East Suffolk Business Plan and compliments the architecture of the building.
The purpose-built offices at Riduna Park in Melton were completed on time and under budget at a cost of £5.5M and some of the leftover funding is being used to support this project, with a commission value of £10,000.
Artists are being asked to send in their ideas along with a written statement, examples of their previous work, CV and an outline budget detailing the costs associated with their proposed ideas.
Written proposals will be assessed by the judging panel in early September, which is made up of representatives from Suffolk Coastal Councillors, Staff, Suffolk Coastal Norse and Flipside Festival.
Up to 5 shortlisted artists will then be invited for interview with the Panel and then Suffolk Coastal staff and councillors will be able to vote for their favourite.
The winner will be announced in November and it is expected that the successful artist will then have three months to create their work and it be hung in place for the official unveiling, which is expected to be in April 2018.
Cllr Geoff Holdcroft, Deputy Leader of Suffolk Coastal, with responsibility for the Accommodation Project, said: “We’ve now settled into East Suffolk House and are looking to give something back to the community by giving local artists the opportunity to showcase their work in the new building.
“We’re looking for something really creative to welcome councillors staff and vistors into our reception area and we hope through this project to celebrate the importance of art and encourage the community to get involved in having their say.”
For full application details and to apply, visit: www.eastsuffolk.gov.uk/yourcouncil/headquarters-accommodation-project/art-commission-for-east-suffolk-house
The deadline for online submissions is 5pm on 25 August 2017.
Hard copies marked in an envelope, ‘Art Submission’ must be delivered to the Council offices:
East Suffolk House, Station Road, Melton, Woodbridge, IP12 1RT by by midday on the 25 August 2017.
- The artwork, design and production fees, artists travel costs, materials, VAT costs and framing must be within the budget of £10,000
- The artwork should be two-dimension and be able to be hung in the wall space (consideration must be given to the weight of the artwork and any framing)
- The artwork should be of a size that utilises the available wall space (maximum dimensions are 3.6 m wide and 2.6 m high
- The artwork must have considerations of ongoing cleaning and maintenance
- The artwork must be created off-site and it must be able to enter the building through the current entrances available (door dimensions are no greater than 1.1m x 1.9 m)
- It is expected that the artist had some experience of commissioned work in past or has exhibited
- Suffolk Coastal District Council will own the artwork and its photographic and intellectual property rights. The artist may use images for commercial purposes in agreement with SCDC. The artist will sign a formal agreement with SCDC to this effect.
- The artist will be available for any planned launch event or PR related to the commission.
The application should consist of the following:
- An artist statement that includes a clear description of your proposed artwork including materials, scale, process and ideas that informed the process (no more than 750 words anything – above this will be disregarded)
- Up to 5 images of your concept for the artwork
- Up to 5 images of examples of the your artists portfolio to date
- CV with examples of your previous relevant work, including evidence of experience and in the production of high quality artistic outcomes, including where relevant a link to your website
- A declaration if related to any employee or current district councillor of Suffolk Coastal District Council
- An outline budget detailing the costs associated with your proposed idea to a total value of no more than £10,000 inclusive of VAT